Day 74 Tesla Ruby Paddle Time

Johnny has been wanting to go kayaking all summer. I really wanted to take him on the Cape Fear River down in Lillington, but it's just so expensive and today I hadn't really planned well enough to do that. However, I found out that besides canoes and paddle boats, Lake Wheeler has kayaks. So, without telling him where we were going, we headed out mid afternoon.

The water level at Lake Wheeler is Code Red low, and boats with engines aren't allowed out right now, but kayaks were still being rented. Unfortunately, you have to be 16 to have your own kayak. Bummer! Johnny has been out by himself at Tucker Lake before, and he's pretty good. Luckily, though, they had a tandem kayak.

As we were putting our life vests on, Master Go and Master One from our taekwondo school recognized Johnny and walked over to say hi. That was a very pleasant surprise. They took a picture of us in the kayak together too:-)

Out on the water, it was in the low 80s and there was a pleasant breeze. We stayed out about an hour which only costs $5. That was plenty for us. I was just shy of starting a blister on my thumbs.

We had no problem getting back, and I let Johnny control the kayak several times.

We stopped at Hook and Cleaver and picked up fresh bacon burgers fro dinner.

I asked Johnny if he wanted to play at the Splash Pad, and he said yes, so I dropped him off and headed home to put the food up and change. I thought it was good for Johnny to get out from under my wing for a bit and a safe spot not far from our home. Besides, with Labor Day just around the corner, I wanted him to get to enjoy himself at least one more time.

The burgers were good!

I should have done a short video showing us using white bath towels to keep Ruby clean today. We were pretty wet coming off the Lake, and of course Johnny was wet from the Splash Pad. The white towels really come in handy. I store them in the frunk for when we need them.

Don has some interesting stuff to say about our electric bill savings. I'll try to include that tomorrow. Short story is that TOU is really saving us.

Comments